Tuesday 6 December 2011

Ranting again

It's the little things.

In Outlook Express on Windows XP, I could press "Go to folder", press the initial letter of the folder I wanted, and get within one letter of where I wanted to go. In the early nineties, there was a lot of correspondence with System Operators, so I had a folder called Sysops. Then, as other S folders got added, the quicker way to get there was to give it a unique first letter, so the folder became Xsysops. So then for anything nerdy or receipts or computery things, I could go Go To Folder... X , Enter. Bosh.
So then I upgrade to Windows 7 64 bit, which comes with Windows Live Mail. I import my entire history of emails, going back to 1992. Wow, that's 20 years of email and I've still got it all!

So I start off, Go to Folder, hit X - and nothing! Ok SOME GUY has looked at this and made a conscious effort in the upgrade, to DISABLE this function. Why? Is it saving fucking band width, memory, disk space? No, it's a tiny little function that a child could program, and some dipshit MIT graduate has decided probably a billion people don't need that, it's redundant - they never used the program so they didn't see the need. This then got past a whole host of other MIT graduates, all earning huge amounts of money, in countless meetings, going over every line of code, and decided that it would be a positive, thought-out plan to TAKE AWAY SOMETHING THAT WAS USEFUL! Why would you do that?

I despair. 

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah I understand, its the same with being able to copy discs. Cant do it with 64 bit computers. Sucks doesn't it ?

DavidHP said...

Ah well! Maybe Microsoft are taking a leaf out of the Macintosh manual. They're always ditching older functions because they don't think the user needs them any more. But at least the Mac upgrades usually come with a shiny alternatives that before you got it you didn't realise you needed it. iPad2 rules!! (until the next thing of course)

DavidHP said...

Any idea why I was named "unraveller" Quite interesting actually :-)

Fiona WordsBird said...

I migrated to Windoze 7 under duress but tried my best to like the now unfamiliar programs. I hate them all. And I hate that I need an older machine to access my @btinternet and @btopenworld emails. And I hate that I can't sort folders out properly in Live Mail. And I hate that Ctrl+N doesn't create a new email; it creates a whole new tab. WHY??????

"Tricky Trev" said...

I think they call that "Murphy's Law". Seems maybe that this law is connected to "Moores Law" nowadays.
Trev.